Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Breast is best!

           

Perhaps one of the best decisions I have ever made as a mother is to breastfeed Victoria. I must admit it wasn’t an easy feat nor it was simply making sure your baby knows how to latch properly right from the start. Breastfeeding takes time, responsibility , commitment and love on the part of the mother.

Though during our student days in Nursing we were taught on the benefits of nursing a child, it is only when I became a part of the Pediatric Ward at the South Cotabato Provincial Hospital did my advocacy for Breastfeeding began. During rounds, we make sure that we see no feeding bottles and that every mother practices breastfeeding especially on newborns. At times, we confiscate feeding bottles and promote the wonders of Breastfeeding. We likewise teach mothers the proper position that will help ensure proper latch-on thus maximize feeding.

On my 2nd semester in the Graduate Studies for Master of Arts in Nursing, I was tasked to give a lecture and demo on Breastfeeding at a far-flung baranggay in Tantangan, South Cotabato. Other than the usual knowledge I have, I did an all-embracing research on the different aspects of Breastfeeding. I spent countless days and nights just to perfect the content of my lecture. Fyi, I did it not only for my listeners but for myself as well as I was nine months pregnant then. During those times when I was completely pre-occupied with this project and during those moments when I felt tired and am on the verge of giving up, I soothe myself by caressing my big belly and I whisper to Victoria, “ Just hold on my little sweetheart, this is for you. I vow to breastfeed you for as long as I can”.

Two days after delivering my lecture, I gave birth to my little angel. It was the happiest day of my life. Due to the drowsiness brought about by the anesthesia administered to me, I could no longer recall if the medical team implemented the Unang Yakap program of the DOH. Nevertheless, I didn’t bother myself much as I was just so excited to nurse my newborn. After spending three hours in the recovery room, I was transferred to a private room and despite my lethargy, I kept asking what time would the baby be roomed-in. Unfortunately and much to my disappointment, she was transferred to our room the following day with a feeding bottle and a formula milk. I was really to the nth power very saddened that my baby had formula milk on her very first day of life. But I don’t want to further elaborate on this matter. The precise moment that I cuddled her, I immediately allowed her to latch on my nipple and voila, a vacuum cleaner is no match to my Victoria’s sucking skills. Latching on was never a problem for us. On the fourth day, she finally had her dose of colostrum.  

The first two weeks of breastfeeding was extremely painfuuuuuuuuuul. Yes I did an extensive research on this yet no book nor search engine had ever said it was super agonizing at the beginning. I never  thought breastfeeding would be so much work. I had fantasized it as simply cuddling your baby in your arms and feeding her and be done with it.  Getting up every 2-3 hours during the first 2-3 months to nourish Victoria and feeding her almost every hour during growth spurts took a real toll on my body and patience as it was truly physically demanding for a first-time mommy. I also experienced having sore nipples, engorgement and had an issue with my milk supply thinking it wasn't sufficient enough.   To be honest, I was already thinking of giving up but whenever I look at my daughter, I realized that I would not deprive her of the best nutrition there is. I did my best to triumphed over all these challenges for the love of Victoria.

Promoting breastfeeding is very easy, practicing it is incredibly difficult. Other than the pain on the first few weeks plus a few moments of engorgement, making sure that my milk supply is of quality and comes in good quantity was also a big challenge for me. I have to be really strict with my diet. And since I was attending classes during weekends, I have to make sure she also has enough supply in the fridge. It took me quite some to time to master the art of pumping.
expressed  milk

On her sixth month, she began teething and the pain I experienced on her first 2 weeks tripled. When her teeth came out, I felt like screaming every after feeding.

But looking back, all my sacrifices as a nursing mom paid off. Victoria though very lean is healthy. She is never sickly (knocking on wood). She didn’t experience having diarrhea nor constipation. She had fever only every after immunization and once when she was teething. She isn’t prone to cough and colds as well. And of course, nothing could beat our mother-child bond that was strengthened through breastfeeding.

 Somehow, I have mastered the art of breastfeeding and it’s much easier now. It was just like counting 1,2,3. Now, I enjoy it so much and even if sometime in the future, I have to pump and feed or supplement with formula, I plan on continuing breastfeeding for as long as possible. Victoria is turning 10 months old next week and I’m proud to say that I still exclusively breastfeed her (with solid foods this time). Fingers crossed, I would still be able to extend my breastfeeding career until she turns two years old. 
For me breastfeeding Victoria is very rewarding - being able to hold her, bond with her while she looks at me in the eyes or holds my breast with her tiny hands and being able to provide her with something natural, something purely from me. I always thank God for giving me these breasts that produce milk which feed, nourish, and sustain my daughter’s life. Breast is best!

No comments:

Post a Comment